Collagen is a common ingredient in beauty products and has gained a reputation of being a bit of a buzzword in the industry. But what does collagen actually do for the skin? And why is it so important to help boost your body’s production of it?
Here’s a rundown of everything you need to know about collagen…
What is collagen?
Collagen occurs naturally in your body and acts as kind of a glue to hold things together. It keeps the skin elastic, and bones and muscles strong. It’s actually the most abundant protein found in the human body! There are 16 different types of collagen, but four key types that you should know:
- Type I: this type of collagen makes up 90% of the collagen in your body. This is the type that keeps skin, bones, tendons, and teeth strong and healthy.
- Type II: type II is made of more loosely packed fibres; it’s found in elastic cartilage and helps cushion your joints.
- Type III: type III supports the structure of muscles, organs, and arteries.
- Type IV: the final type of collagen is found within the layers of the skin and helps with filtration.
Why do I need to boost my body’s collagen production?
Your collagen production begins to slow down by the time you turn 25. During menopause, it declines quickly and significantly. There are other factors that can contribute to the slowing down of your collagen production, such as smoking, sun damage, and high sugar intake. The good news is, there are plenty of ways to boost your collagen production!
How can I increase my collagen?
Eat the right foods
Certain foods have been proven to increase collagen production, so being mindful of what you’re putting into your body is an easy way to bolster your collagen levels. Here are just a few...
- Vitamin C: foods that are rich in vitamin C are great collagen increasers! Vitamin C assists in the synthesis of hyaluronic acid, which in turn boosts collagen production levels. Try to incorporate some leafy greens, oranges, red capsicums, or strawberries into your diet.
- Ginseng: ginseng has been used in Eastern medicines and beauty practices for centuries and used to be thought to grant eternal youth. It has very few adverse side effects, and does so much for the skin: it boosts collagen production, releases antioxidants into the bloodstream, and can even protect from harmful UVB rays! There are many skincare products that contain ginseng, but it also comes in supplement form as well as teas.
- Coriander: this is one of the best kept secrets of the beauty world! Coriander contains tonnes of vitamin C and linolenic acid, both of which increase collagen production. You can sprinkle some coriander over your next meal, but if you don’t enjoy the taste, you can also buy coriander extract to put straight onto your skin.
Get regular salon treatments
We’re firm believers at Lavish that skin care is an important part of health care. Professional treatments are the most effective way to boost your collagen production, which can revitalise your skin or assist your body in recovering from injuries or surgeries. We have a plethora of treatments designed to boost collagen production.
From collagen induction therapy to microdermabrasion to laser genesis, our therapists will work with you to set up the best treatment plan for your concerns. Call us on (03) 9827 9243, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop in today to chat to a therapist about our treatments.